JHANSI CIRCLE- A SUMMARY
Jhansi circle was created on August 28th, 2020, bi-furcating the Lucknow circle. The circle consists the Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh including Banda, Chitrakut, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Mahoba and Lalitpur districts. As on today, there are 173 monuments/sites under the jurisdiction of Jhansi Circle.
Bundelkhand is bounded by the river Yamuna in the north and the Chambal in the northwest, the ranges of the Vindhya plateau in the south and Panna-Ajaygarh ranges in the south-east. The region of Bundelkhand is homogeneous dissected upland, presenting an old erosion surface, carved out of granite, with northern alluvial plains merging imperceptibly into the granitic uplands.
The trans-Yamuna plain of Bundelkhand is characterized by soft and unconsolidated materials brought down by the tributaries of Yamuna, Chambal, Betwa and Ken. The frequent constriction of drainage by the dykes has resulted in creation of multiple small tanks which are playing important role in supply of water for agricultural activities. The Ganga-Yamuna River system plays an important role in agriculture with the tributaries of these main rivers. The land, by and large, is fertile with black loamy soil, extremely good for wheat cultivation but the ravines of the region are challenging for survival. The Bundelkhand also possesses a rich flora and fauna.
As a result, this is one of the richest regions in India in view of Archaeological Sites, Monuments and remains. The antiquity of the region goes back to Lower Paleolithic period. A number of sites, rock- shelters containing stone tools and paintings have been discovered from different localities. The monuments and sites include forts, temples, tombs, mosques, colonial memorials, cemeteries and Maratha chhatris.
Important monuments under Jhansi Circle include:
Temples and Shrines:
- Dasavatar Temple at Deogarh (Lalitpur)
- Khakra Math and Rahilya Temple, Mahoba (Mahoba)
- Jarai ka Math at Barua Sagar (Jhansi),
- Stone temple at Ganesh Bagh, (Karvi),
- Group of Monuments at Dudhai and Chandpur in district Lalitpur.
- Balarinath temple at Gulrampur (Banda)
- Group of temples Madanpur, Chandpur and Dudhai
Mosques and Tomb and Cemeteries
- Jama Masjid, Erich (Jhansi)
- Jama Masjid, Mahoba (Mahoba)
- Jama Masjid, Banda
- Churasi Gumbad, Kalpi (Jalaun)
- Raja Gangadhar Rao ki Chhatri, Jhansi,
- Cemeteries at Konch, Kalpi and Jhansi
- Cemeteries at Jakhlon, Jhansi
Fort and Palaces
- Jhansi Fort (Jhansi)
- Kalinjar Fort (Banda)
- Marpha Fort (Banda)
- Talbehat Fort (Lalitpur)
- Rani Mahal, Jhansi
- Madan Sagar, Kirat Sagar and Vijay Sagar (Mahoba)
- Brahma Tal, Sukura (Mahoba)
- Large tank, Patkari (Mahoba)
- Rahil sagar, Sun Temple, Rahilia (Mahoba)
- Tank at Barua Sagar (Jhansi)
- Water Bodies inside the Kalinjar and Marpha Forts
- Tanks attached to stone Temple, Karvi (Chitrakut)
- A Large Chandella tank, Rawatpur (Mahoba)
- Baratal, Srinagar (Mahoba)